Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Back to Basketball -- comments from the U of I team camp and more - nice story on Sammy



Just the comments on the players relevant to Bradley from several sources...link provided upon request for those who need them...



Nate Taphorn 2013 Pekin
"The now 6-foot-7 wing forward prospect can really shoot the ball, and he knows how to play without the ball as well. He was battling an ankle injury which limited his mobility, but he still showed some nice flashes. His ball handling is very good already, having played guard for much of his career. Already sporting offers from Bradley and Drake, his shooting ability will get him high major offers after July. The question now is whether he can become more of a role player or can he become more than that at the high major level. He will visit Illinois unofficially again on Sunday."

also on Taphorn-
"Nate Taphorn, SF, Pekin (IL) High School – Taphorn makes his presence felt with his ability to shoot the ball from deep. For a wing he has good size, and can really make shots, though his release needs to get a bit quicker. Not a great athlete or super tough, Taphorn does float around the perimeter. He fits the role of being a shooter, but now he needs to continue to expand his game. Nate Taphorn picked up a recent offer from Drake."


Peyton Allen 2014 Chatham Glenwood
"Allen is now 6-foot-5, and continues to grow and develop his game. His ball skills are outstanding, as he possesses the ability to knock down shots with range, score off of drives and score in the post against smaller players. After missing a great deal of time with a concussion, he struggled with his breathing on Wednesday, and conditioning is probably his biggest issue right now. Bradley offered this week, and Iowa is expected to offer on his visit there on Thursday."

More on Allen-
"2014 Illinois Guard Peyton Allen has plenty of time to make his college decision, but he's already building relationships with college coaches. The Illinois Wolves standout visited Iowa last week and has camped around the Big Ten.

Allen has visited or camped at several Big Ten schools this month. The 6-foot-4, 185-pound combo guard's stop at Iowa on Thursday was proceeded by camps at Michigan, Wisconsin and Illinois. He planned a stop at Purdue and possible a few other campuses in August.

"The recruiting has picked up every since last October when I went to the Illinois Midnight Madness," Allen said. "It's mostly Big Ten schools."

"There's some pressure (in recruiting) but it's not too bad. I like being recruited and going to all these campuses and meeting all the coaches and seeing all the players."

Allen plays for the Illinois Wolves in AAU and for Glenwood High in Chatham, Ill., which is in the Springfield area. It's about a three-hour drive to Iowa City.

"I was there for two or three hours," Allen said of his Iowa visit. "We went to talk to Coach (Andrew) Francis. We went around the campus and talked to all the coaches. We met the players. We went to the academic center. We went to the arena and looked at everything. It was fun. We got to see all of the campus and talk to all the coaches."

Allen was impressed with the Hawkeyes.

"I liked it," he said. "Most of the schools I'm going to now are doing construction or redoing their arena. That's what Iowa's doing. It looks like it's going to be nice. I'm hoping to get back there in August or maybe for a game during the season."

Iowa expressed the reason for its interest in Allen.

"Coach Francis said that they like to run and gun," he said. "They want to get up and down the floor. They want a guy like me to play in that. They think I can score and do the right things for them.

"I don't like to stop and run a play every time. I like to get a fast shot off the fast-break. That's how I like to play."

A restrictive offense doesn't suit Allen.

"(The Hawkeye coaches) tell me that they'll give me freedom and let me shoot," Allen said. "They'll help me become the player they want and I want to be. They'll let me call my own shots.

"I want to become the best player I can be. That's what I'm looking for and that's what Iowa is offering right now."

Iowa still wants to wait before offering Allen.

"They spoke every highly of me, but we didn't really talk about an offer or anything," he said.

Bradley was the first and remains the only school to offer Allen to this point. He's wished for one particular opportunity for a long time.

"I've always liked Duke. I like Coach K," Allen said. "That's probably my dream school to go to."

Allen also is hearing from Northwestern, Missouri, DePaul, Stanford and Xavier. Even though he's young, he's showing play-making ability that college coaches like to see.

"I would say getting the in lane and creating, whether it's scoring or kicking or setting somebody up," Allen said of the reason he's drawn interest. "I can play the point or the two and set people up for scoring.

"My on-ball defense is probably my weakness. I need to work hard to get better at that."

Allen hasn't come up with a definite date for his college decision but he has a rough idea.

"I'm thinking maybe heading into my junior year or during my junior year," Allen said. "That's how I'm feeling right now. I still need to get offers, though."



Alex Foster - Class of 2012
"Alex Foster, 6’-7”, combo forward (De La Salle)

The first aspect which stood out was how much more aggressive Foster played. He knows as an upperclassmen and without Jaylon Tate, he is going to have to take on a bigger role.

His skill set is continuing to improve, as his ability to attack off the dribble was on display. It was no more evident than when he posterized one of the La Lumiere big men attacking hard off the wing, which was the play of the camp. I see Foster developing into a versatile small forward who can be a mismatch.



Here's another kid who BU had looked at- Class of 2012
"Aaric Armstead, 6’-4”, shooting guard (Hales)

The knock on Armstead has been his perimeter shooting. He is starting to shoot the ball better at the last two events I have seen him. Armstead is a beast as a wing slasher and has big-time scoring potential. He is fast with the ball in transition and finishes as a wing. He is a good defender and uses his quick hands to his advantage."




Then a nice story on Sam Maniscalco -




"Sam Maniscalco Brings Leadership To Illini"

"There is a big influx of talent for the Fighting Illini basketball team this summer. Fans are talking about any of 5 freshmen with potential to improve the program. But perhaps no newcomer will play a bigger role than Bradley senior transfer Sam Maniscalco. The Illini need a point guard and a leader, and Maniscalco fits both descriptions.

Sam Maniscalco took advantage of the NCAA rule permitting graduate students to transfer schools without losing eligibility to participate in grad programs unavailable at their previous schools.

"I'm really excited about the opportunity to be here. I feel like it's a privilege to put on this jersey, this uniform. So many great players before me, and great teams before us. The tradition here is very rich, so I'm just glad to be part of it."

It is somewhat a surreal experience for the 5'-10" point guard.

"A little bit. I grew up an Illini fan when I was really young because of the fact that Dee Brown and Deron Williams had such a great team and went to the National Championship."

Maniscalco isn't burning any bridges with his previous school. He will always treasure his experiences at Bradley.

"Absolutely. I've mentioned multiple times, I had a wonderful four years at Bradley. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Unfortunately some stuff happened there, and I had to move on. But I've got nothing but good things to say about Bradley. What's past is past, and I'm looking forward to the opportunity here now."

The Illinois staff and team have made the transition easy for him.

"I feel very welcomed. I'm just taking it one day at a time, trying to get better each day. I'm working on getting healthy and having good things here."

Maniscalco had ankle surgery last winter, and he is almost back to full speed. He was asked when he can begin scrimmaging with his new team.

"It depends on my rehab. My rehab schedule says I should be good to go by the first of July. I'm following the protocol there, so in the next few weeks I should be ready to go."

He would like to be healthy for the season, but that is a relative term. When last was he fully healthy?

"I'd say my sophomore year at Bradley. When you're a basketball player at this level, you're always gonna have bumps and bruises. I don't know if you can ever walk into a season or a game and be 100% healthy as high level athletes. My sophomore year, my bumps and bruises were a lesser part of being healthy.

"But I'm healthy now. I'm working every day with Al Martindale on trying to get in shape and get my conditioning back. It's still early, it's still June. I'm looking forward to our trip to Italy in August and then getting ready for the season."

The Italy trip will be another new experience for Maniscalco.

"I've never been to Italy. The only time I've been out of the country was when I went to Brazil with Bradley."

Maniscalso is expected to provide major minutes at point guard for the Illini during the 2011-12 season. He and freshman Tracy Abrams will likely share the role. As a grizzled veteran, Maniscalco hopes to smooth Abrams's transition to the college game.

"Tracy's a great kid. First thing, he's a competitor. He's come in here with a bulldog mentality. He's been working hard, as has all the freshmen. But I'm the kind of guy, I've been in his ear a little.

"When I was a freshman at Bradley, I had an All-American point guard in front of me in Daniel Ruffin. I competed with him and went after him. But at the same time, I listened to some of the things he said. I tried to pick up something new.

"I think that's what he's doing. He played on the same AAU team that I did, for the same coaches. So I'm sure he's looking forward to it, and I am as well."

Maniscalco has always been a leader, but moving into a new environment can be difficult if others object to the newcomer asserting authority. He shared his thoughts on leadership.

"I don't know if 'difficult' is the word. I think being a leader, the biggest thing you have to do is adapt to situations. You've got to go on your instincts. You can learn to be a better leader obviously. But I think sometimes it's something you are born with.

"You have to adapt to your situation. I'm adapting to the situation here, and I'm gonna use my experience to guide these guys a little bit and lead by example. Let my instincts take over here and see how that goes."

It sounds like Maniscalco is up to the challenge. If so, the Illini are certain to benefit.

"I'm looking forward to working hard every day and try to provide some experience and leadership for these guys."



Good luck Sammy - it's been special knowing ya!!

No comments:

Post a Comment