Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Some puzzling things said in a chat about Illinois basketball

The Champaign Gazette's Paul Klee gives a chat about U of I basketball on one of the Illini sites.
I have linked to it here...so read it if you want, but I have several observations of what's asked and what's said...
http://illinihq.com/chats/2009/09/09/illinois_basketball_chat__pm_wednesday


Now, let me start by saying Paul Klee is very knowledgable about the Illini and Illinois basketball...so I don't claim to know more than he does. But simply read some of the things said in this chat and see if you don't agree that some things are at least puzzling, and others border on downright fantasy.

As I said, Mr. Klee does know a lot and the very fact that he is answering dozens of questions as the expert, would say he thinks he is the expert..
and I don't want to be too dogmatic, but let me know if maybe I have misunderstood. Maybe I have something wrong here, but I think I am right...that some of what's said in this chat is really puzzling!

BUT--
look at his answer to this question...
(it is based on the fact that ex-Illini Deon Thomas is now the coach and AD at Lewis & Clark Community College -- and that Deon was the guy Bruce Pearl ratted on...so thus the reference to going to Tennessee...)

here's the question and the response...
"Question: Is there any chance we could schedule Lewis & Clark CC as an exhibition game in the future? I doubt they would travel to Tennessee, regardless of the $.
-
Moderator: Illini- I think there's a possibility you'll see Deon Thomas' Lewis & Clark squad at the Assembly Hall in the future. You have to remember, though, that Illinois wants to swap Quincy/Lewis every other year. So that game takes up one of the exhibition spots. If nothing else, you can check out Deon Thomas' team on Feb. 20, when he travels to Parkland to face Nate Mast's Cobras.
Klee"



seriously...the guy asks if Lewis & Clark CC will ever be an exhibition opponent of Illinois.

Lewis & Clark is a D-II 2-year juco for gosh sakes...the other schools they mention as exhibition opponents (Quincy and Lewis) are at least FOUR YEAR D-II schools!
No D-I or even any 4-year school anywhere at any level has ever nor will they ever schedule an exhibition with a low level junior college!!!!!
These are the kinds of teams that schedule against Brehm Prep...
Seriously, Lewis & Clark is like ICC...can you imagine someone asking if Bradley or maybe U of I would schedule ICC as an exhibition?
It should have started a wave of laughter, except Paul Klee then goes on to answer this question as if there's a real possibility it'll happen.

Trust me, Illinois WILL NEVER schedule nor play Lewis & Clark CC!!
There is a Lewis and Clark College in Oregon, and it is not a juco, but this cannot be the one Klee means as Deon Thomas has nothing to do with the one in Oregon, and most people in and around the state of Illinois have heard of only one Lewis & Clark, and the one they've heard of is the 2-year juco.
in Godfrey, IL.

But more astounding than the fact that the questioner asked this stupid question, is that Paul Klee actually says it could happen some day and nobody else takes him to task for such a ridiculous statement!! Sorry to say, but it's downright stupidity!


also- note the semi-prediction/suggestion that Alex Legion will average 15!!
Again...this sounds eerily similar to the wild predictions last year that just as soon as Legion gained eligibility, he'd be a full time starter, double digit scorer, and go-to guy.
Hmmm...somehow I recall it didn't turn out that way.


Then lastly this astoundingly puzzling question...
"What kind of production do you think will be enough
for DJ Richardson to consider an early departure for
the NBA after next season?"

ahem--- is this serious???....the questioner thinks DJ Richardson will go to the NBA after next season??
I dunno what's stupider...that there's an Illini fan who actually thinks this, or that Paul Klee actually answers this question and says there IS a long shot that DJ will do just that!!
Can someone tell the the last time an Illinois player jumped to the NBA after just one or two years?

But then...I recall these same people predicted Alex Legion would only stay a year and be gone to the NBA!
I am sorry if this offends Illinois fans. Keep in mind I am an Illini grad and a part-time Illinois fan, but I do not share the yearly, bubbling optimism and predictions of players jumping to the NBA after one year and deep bench players suddenly blossoming and averaging double figures.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but for now I am classifying some of the questions in this chat and some of Klee's answers as belonging in the Twilight Zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment