Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sam Maniscalco



I won't bore you but I wanted to say a few things about Sam...
I will be one of the most unhappy that he is leaving and will not play his final season at Bradley. I have known Sam and his family for four years, and have come to respect them all as fine individuals and Sammy as a great player whose value to the team goes way beyond X's and O's and ppg.

First - let me start with Carl Maniscalco and Sammy's mom Coyla...
you can tell they did a fine job raising Sammy in the few minutes it takes to meet and see how polite and generous Sammy is. But talking further...Carl is a self-made, successful man who gives enormous amounts of his time to youth sports and coaching kids -- and enjoys every minute of it. Sammy's mom is kinda quiet when I have talked with her but I'll bet she's not always that way -- and she seems personable and travels everywhere to follow and support her son.
There is no doubt that Sam's really strong work habits, study habits & good grades, and his personality that leaves you knowing he will always be successful wherever he goes...are products of a very fine family and upbringing.
Hey--- if we didn't already have a lot of kids I'd look for a way to adopt Sammy myself!!

Sammy has overcome injury and a certain amount of criticism and given Bradley four fine years -- even though one year cwas cut severely short due to the surgery. Get back to me in a year and I'll bet we'll be talking about how much his contributions next season at Illinois were surprisingly more than many thought and how it would have helped Bradley a ton!

Anyway -- I have nothing but the highest admiration, respect, and enjoyment in knowing and rooting for Sam and his family. I know the full truth to the situation will likely never be known by most and thus some will judge on inadequate data and misjudge because they don't know or can't see.
If you give me just one big man then I would take 10 Sam Maniscalcos and I am convinced I would beat you most of the time no matter who you have. Sammy has been part of an awful lot of wins and great games at Bradley. I hope he has a great year next year. Already my friends who are Illini fans who know much at all about Sam are asking if I want a thank-you card because they are so ecstatic to have him in their current situation. They know they got a super steal!

God Bless you Sam & family....you will be missed severely - and I hope you know that -- you'd better stop by in Peoria sometime down the road and say hi!!

No comments:

Post a Comment